Education Advisor Intern
Company: American Student Assistance
Posted on: December 4, 2018
Under the direction of the Center Manager, the Education Advisor Intern will provide career, education and financial aid information, and advising to individuals visiting the Brockton Education and Career Planning Center. Undertake research projects as assigned and participate in and/or conduct outreach activities in the South Shore area.Required SkillsESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (e.g., in order to be considered to perform this position, the person must be able to perform essential duties and responsibilities listed below):
- Assists with the upkeep and maintenance of information resources, both print and electronic.
- Serves as liaison between clients, postsecondary institutions and training programs to resolve problems in the admission and financial aid process.
- Maintain confidential records of individuals served and documentation of assistance provided; update regularly.
- Utilize Salesforce student management database to track and maintain caseload; including services provided career planning, college applications, college admission decisions, financial aid applications, and enrollment information, etc.
- Provides information and advice to incoming callers, about colleges, careers, financial aid and other issues related to postsecondary planning.
- Establishes and maintains ongoing advising relationships with clients through correspondence, email or telephone inquiries and provides additional assistance as needed.
- Plans and conducts outreach and other activities focusing on preparing for postsecondary education, career awareness, college admissions process, and financial aid.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with staff of pre-college, alternative education programs, and community agencies serving adults who could benefit from the Education and Career Planning Center services.
- Facilitates day, evening and weekend workshops regarding education access at local community organizations, schools and churches.
- Participates in the Education and Career Center planning sessions, training and bi-weekly staff meetings.
- Individuals in this position may perform other duties as assigned.
It is the responsibility of each associate at ASA to keep current with and apply all relevant company policies, regulations and laws impacting his/her area. This includes following standard operating procedures and complying with data privacy. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function listed above satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made in certain circumstances to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.Required ExperienceEDUCATION:
- Currently enrolled college student with a focus on education, counseling, or related field, or Bachelor's degree working on Master's degree in education, counseling, or related field.
- Ability to think creatively and conduct research.
- Possess strong problem solving and follow through skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills; the ability to relate them to the services we provide and our clients
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate with community partners or clients who seek our services.
- Understanding of the higher education and financial aid process.
- Solid understanding of the issues facing low-income and first-generation college attendees.
- Knowledge of TRIO programs a plus.
- Experience working and communicating with diverse populations
- Bilingual language capability is a plus.
- Digital literacy including proficiency with computer software including database systems, MS Office programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint; email, internet, intranet, using on line learning tools, and social media.
- Familiarity with working with middle-school youths is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills; excellent customer service skills; excellent follow through skills.
- A high level of energy and maturity.
- This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends.
- Travel for professional reasons is required.
While the above is a description of the essential functions of the position, other duties, both related and unrelated to the above, may be assigned and therefore required. Unless otherwise specified in writing by ASA management, each associate is expected to perform his/her job at ASA headquarters at 100 Cambridge Street. All job descriptions are subject to change at the discretion of management, and every effort will be made, when possible, to communicate those changes to the associate.Job Location
Keywords: American Student Assistance, Brockton , Education Advisor Intern, Education / Teaching , Brockton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!