Clinical Nurse Manager
Company: Boston Medical Center
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It's a
network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of
thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and
busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England.
Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing
consistently excellent and accessible health services to all-and is
the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is
also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston
University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of
Boston HealthNet - an integrated health care delivery systems that
includes many community health centers. Join BMC today and help us
achieve our Vision 2030 which is a long-term goal to make Boston
the healthiest urban population in the world.
Position: Clinical Nurse Manager
Department: Brockton Site - Psych Facility
Schedule: Full Time
In collaboration with members of the health care team ensures
coordination of psychiatric patient care through the development
and use of patient care and practice standards. Ensures that
desired patient outcomes are optimally achieved and that variances
from established parameters are evaluated and addressed as
necessary. Reports directly to the Patient Care Director.
Responsible for the planning and implementation of the clinical
based activities. Will identify opportunities for improvement,
establish expectations, seek solutions and establish monitoring and
evaluating strategies. Performs the quality review process in
compliance with performance improvement plan, regulations and
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Clinical Responsibilities:
In collaboration with the health care team, directs, coordinates,
supervises and provides clinical care to patients, which may
- Providing direct care to patients and families with complex or
- Develops and sustains an environment that supports excellence
in clinical practice through planning and implementing programs
that contribute to positive patient outcomes
- Assures appropriate skill mix to provide quality care,
considering fluctuations in unit(s) activity and acuity
- Coordinating interdisciplinary communication, e.g., patient
care conferences and/or team meetings, based on data reflective of
specific patient needs
- Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team to develop, revise
and update clinical priorities and care management plans.
- Sets priorities for appropriate and efficient management of
patient care that reflects cost effective management of time,
available human resources, supplies, and equipment.
- Maintains interdisciplinary approach to planning and
- Demonstrates awareness of community resources and assists
staff, patients, and families to effectively utilize them.
- Conducts regular staff meetings in collaboration with the
clinical leadership team
- Provides the opportunity for staff to be involved in unit-based
strategic planning, development of policies and procedures, and
quality improvement activities
- Serves as a resource/mentor to staff regarding professional
development encouraging continuing education, formal study, and
individual learning opportunities as appropriate.
- Encourages staff participation in professional organizations
and attainment of specialty certification.
- Remains current regarding standards of care established by the
department, the profession, and regulatory agencies.
- Supports and implements the hospital's Risk Management program
through the timely and accurate completion of employee injury
reports, incident reports, and other required paperwork; conducts
follow-up investigation and initiates corrective action as
Management - Clinical Staff
- Interviews, hires, trains, supervise, evaluate performance and
disciplines as necessary for clinical staff and in doing so, seeks
feedback, evaluation, and guidance from the professional staff as
appropriate and according to established personnel policies and
- Works collaboratively with Human Resource staff as needed.
- Ensures that hiring and supervising practices and promotion
recommendation actively support the organization's affirmative
action and equal opportunity policy, and diversity statement.
- Acquires, maintains, and utilizes knowledge of current
personnel polices and procedures for all clinical staff.
- Initiates timely and appropriate management interventions
inclusive of coaching, counseling, and progressive discipline for
the clinical staff.
- Monitors clinical performance regularly against standards and
prepares and implements steps to bring clinic in conformance with
- In collaboration with the management team, develops, monitors,
and revises the clinic schedule to ensure efficient patient flow in
- Conducts independent investigation of employee incidents
involving clinical practice issues, including review of employee
personnel file, discipline record, and evaluations. Imposes
appropriate disciplinary action as needed.
- Recommends employees for promotion or other
- Evaluates probationary employees' work performance and
recommends employment continuation or discharge.
Education - Clinical Staff
- Conducts formal and informal staff education for new and
established clinical staff related to critical pathways, clinical
practice guidelines/standards, and quality improvement
- Establishes, leads, and or participates in appropriate forums
to provide programs and teaching information; seeks program
- Develops training modules as needed for the clinical staff,
including competencies; conducts periodic audits to ensure
compliance and quality.
- Communicates departmental goals to the clinical staff and
fosters a work environment that motivates employees to achieve
- Performs ongoing evaluation of clinical outcomes of assigned
caseload and identify opportunities for improvement.
- In collaboration with the interdisciplinary team, analyzes
systems, trends, and critical pathway variances, and implements
strategies to improve patient care/outcome. Evaluates the adherence
to and effectiveness of unit-based, departmental and
interdisciplinary clinical standards and programs through the
establishment of quality improvement activities.
- Maximizes efficiency of operational systems by:
- Identifying opportunities for intra/inter departmental
operational process improvement
- Evaluating efficiency and cost-effectiveness of
multi-disciplinary and interdepartmental efforts.
- Collaboratively identifying, implementing, and evaluating
strategies to improve operational systems related to targeted
- Evaluates the specialty service's clinical practice in relation
to patient/family satisfaction.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of annual financial
goals for targeted patient populations.
- Assists in the evaluation of results relating to resource
utilization before and after planned changes occur.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of strategies to
improve cost-benefit for patients.
- Collaborates with appropriate departments to ensure that
clinical documentation is complete, accurate and maximizes
- Identifies own learning needs and assumes responsibility for
maintaining current knowledge, competency, and expertise in area of
- Completes annual mandatory educational requirements, e.g.,
safety review, infection control standards, departmental/specialty
competencies, and maintains appropriate credential status.
- Participates as a committee member and/or chairperson when
- Other duties as required.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to
depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the
employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an
exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities
BSN required, Master's Degree in relevant field preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Licensed to practice professional nursing as a Registered Nurse in
the Commonwealth of Massachusetts required.
Minimum 5 years nursing experience. Must have 1+ year(s) recent
clinical experience in the assigned specialty.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of professional nursing principles, procedures, and
techniques used in the care and treatment of patients in
- Knowledge of State and Federal regulations that apply to the
care of patients in inpatient psychiatric settings
- Knowledge of principles of crisis prevention and
- Provides effective leadership in high-stress situations with
sensitivity, tact, and diplomacy
- Broad-based health care operational experience; Demonstrated
knowledge of various health systems and cost reduction
- Effective verbal and written communication skills appropriate
to the patient populations served.
- Self-directed, self-starter and able to implement new
- Demonstrated ability as an effective leader.
- Demonstrated ability to apply principles of adult learning to
provide education to staff, physician, and auxiliary staff.
- Analytical ability to solve clinical nursing issues and conduct
quality improvement and research projects.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and efficiently to
complete assigned workload.
- Physical ability to meet core job responsibilities in
accordance with practice setting demands for the patient
populations regularly served
- Ability to manage stress due to critical patient care issues,
changing organizational climate and personnel issues.
- Multi-lingual skills (beyond that of English) in languages
appropriate to patient populations served by the Medical Center is
Req id: 23368
Keywords: Boston Medical Center, Brockton , Clinical Nurse Manager, Executive , Brockton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!