Company: Brockton Neighborhood Health Center
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Job DescriptionBROCKTON NEIGHBORHOOD HEALTH CENTER POSITION
DESCRIPTION: Phlebotomist - Full Time Supervisor: Laboratory
Supervisor POSITION SUMMARY:The Phlebotomist is responsible for
blood collections; obtaining urine and other non-blood specimens;
processing specimens; maintaining lab log book; maintaining lab
supplies; and distributing lab related documents.
- To deliver optimal patient services.
- Performs a variety of duties related to laboratory and health
- Participates in the overall optimal functioning of the health
center. QUALIFICATIONS:Graduate of a phlebotomy training
program.National certification in phlebotomy required.Bilingual
preferred. MINIMAL KNOWLEDGE BASE:
- Has good understanding of phlebotomy skills.
- Has understanding of common laboratory tests/ procedures
- OSHA guidelines.
- Infection control standards.
- Maintains current information related to laboratory
- Independently seeks answers and/or information when presented
with doubt or uncertainties.
- Moderate computer skills. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES: PROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR:
- Maintains optimal attitude to achieve favorable responses.
- Is reliable and dependable as demonstrated by excellent
- Thorough follow-through of work tasks.
- Maintains patient and coworkers confidentiality (HIPAA) at all
- Maintains discretion of conversation in work areas.
- Maintains compliance with all facility Policies and
- Is pleasant, courteous, and considerate of patients and
co-workers in all departments (in person and on the phone)
- Maintains appropriate chain of command. Performs duties related
to accurate and safe collection, handling, and processing of
specimens (per reference labs requirements).
- Performs duties related to the continuous operation of the
health center. TASKS:
- Accomplishes accurate and timely completion of tasks and
- Obtains specimens from patients. Instructs patients on
procedure for specialty testing.
- Properly labels specimens and completes necessary forms.
- Positive ID of all patient by asking patient to state their
full name and DOB
- Bag specimens safely and appropriately for transfer to
- Maintains log book for tests ordered and results received.
- Assures that lab results are received in the patients chart
within three (5) business days, (except for special testing which
may take longer)
- Follows up on any missing reports or results.
- Uses and maintains laboratory equipment appropriately.
- Acts as liaison for internal and external lab issues.
- Responds to phone calls related to the lab except for anyone
requests for results (refer to nursing department).
- Documents accurately in patient record as necessary.
- Maintain neatness and cleanliness in lab area. Interprets as
- Preceptor for students. Ability to adjust to changesQUALITY
- Quality Assurance Monitoring – participates in the betterment
of the health center through studies and reviews as necessary.
- Goal Setting – Assess personal, team, and organizational
- Maintains teamwork approach.
- Flexibility – continuously participates in the modification of
schedule, duties, and procedural functions.
- Contribution – consistent effort to further goals by modifying
and/or improving individual procedures and tasks.
- Conflict Management –Able to implement problem solving
techniques. Identifies tasks and operational problems. Generates
and implements solutions in conjunction with co-workers and
management. Handling conflict with staff and patients
- Assist in Student/Volunteer Training.
- Trains and shares knowledge with new staff
- Always be respectful of the Leads and Seniors in the
- Float between sites
- WORKING CONDITIONS:Works in a busy community health center in a
downtown business district. Long hours are sometimes required.
Covering other facility locations is required. PHYSICAL
REQUIREMENTS:Physical demands requiring lifting small pieces of
equipment, boxes, and/or patients not to exceed 40 pounds. Mostly
standing and walking required. Visual acuity sufficient for
frequently reading. Hearing acuity sufficient for holding
conversation with or without audio devices.In order to prevent a
direct threat to the safety and health of our patients and staff,
effective August 1, 2021, new hires are required to have had at
least the first dose of a COVID vaccine prior to their start, with
the exception of those who have documented medical or religious
exemptions. New hires who are not yet vaccinated can arrange to
have the vaccine on site. At Brockton Neighborhood Health Center,
we are dedicated to providing high quality health care that is
delivered by Committed, Competent, Compassionate staff who respects
the dignity, privacy, and equality of each patient and colleagues.
Our team believes that Teamwork, Diversity, Respect, Customer
service and Collaboration are essential for everyone to be
successful in their role.
Keywords: Brockton Neighborhood Health Center, Brockton , Phlebotomist, Healthcare , Brockton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!