Chief Wastewater Operator
Company: Veolia North America
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Veolia is the largest sustainable environmental solutions
organization globally. With over 163,000 employees worldwide, we
specialize in water, waste and energy management. We are seeking a
Chief Operator to join our diverse and skilled team in Brockton,
MA. This is a full-time, permanent Union position. Additional
- Full health benefits eligibility
- Union members are allowed to participate in the Veolia stock
- Union members are eligible for one time bonuses after obtaining
a higher wastewater license:
- Upon obtaining a MA Grade 6 license, employee receives a one
time bonus of $375
- Upon obtaining a MA Grade 7 license, employee receives a one
time bonus of $500
- Longevity pay for Years of Continuous Service milestones, which
is paid annually:
- Over five (5) years, but less than ten (10) years $100.00
- Over ten (10) years but less than fifteen (15) years
- Over fifteen (15) years but less than twenty (20) years
- Over twenty (20) years $360.00 Pay Rate: Many Union incentives
are available that, upon successful completion, total up to
potential $2/HR increase in base pay rate.
- Grade 5 operator: $28.71 per hour starting rate
- Grade 6 operator: $29.92 per hour starting rate
- Grade 7 chief operator: $32.09 per hour starting rate Hours:
Day Shift position with emergency on-call availability as required
Summary of Main Job Duties:
- Tends automatic and semi-automatic machines and related
equipment including pumps, engines, generators, valves, gates,
mixers, conveyors, blowers, chemical feed and odor control and
vacuum filters used to decontaminate waste water by settling,
aeration and sludge digestion.
- Monitors control panels and adjusts valves and gates manually
or by remote control to regulate flow.
- Monitors flow meters, gauges, flow ratios, pressures and
related controls through instrument panels, computer terminals and
programmable logic control units in assigned area.
- Monitors and records operating conditions observations and data
in area shift log.
- Ensures conformance to process specifications. Troubleshoots
and diagnoses operational problems and takes corrective action per
procedure. Verifies and reports suspected malfunctions and
variances to supervisor. Performs routine and preventative
maintenance and maintenance related items as assigned.
- Performs field tests (chemical, physical and biological) in
order to pace chemical dosages for process and odor control units
or alter unit processes.
- Samples wastewater, sludge and gases (odor control, digester,
etc.) according to schedule.
- Prepares chemical solutions and services automatic
- Performs lab tests applicable to permit testing and related
reports per procedure.
- Performs instrument calibration for portable meters including,
but not limited to, dissolved oxygen, pH, H2S, percent oxygen,
lower explosive limit.
- Monitors process chemical supplies and recommends reorder.
- Performs manual labor including filling and emptying of machine
bins and cleaning equipment, facilities and grounds as
- Performs minor maintenance including, but not limited to,
routine preventive maintenance, lubrication and minor
- Operates vehicles for plant operational purposes.
- Practices good housekeeping in assigned area and properly
disposes of waste according to safety and environmental policies.
- High School education or equivalent with the ability to read,
write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety and
quality instructions). Must have the ability to perform basic math
equations. Associate's degree in a science or technical area
- Requires a minimum Massachusetts Wastewater Grade 5
certification, Grade 6 or Grade 7 license is preferred.
- Over five years experience in a related position and
environment with knowledge of the methods, techniques, and
practices of wastewater treatment.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the care and use of all site
specific, facility required PPE (Personal Protection Equipment),
including respirators, gas detectors, confined space equipment,
- Must consistently demonstrate the ability to operate all
machines and equipment meeting or exceeding processing and quality
targets under general supervision.
- Must demonstrate ability to efficiently operate all equipment
in facility which may include pumps, engines, centrifuge,
generators, valves, gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, dryers,
chemical feed, odor control, disinfection equipment, sludge
processing filters, belt presses and measuring/control devices,
testing equipment, and material handling equipment.
- Must have the ability to diagnose process problems regardless
of complexity, troubleshoot equipment and take corrective action
within policy and procedure limitations.
- Must demonstrate a working ability to use computer programs for
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and
willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities
- Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call if
required by site.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and a safe driving
record. Veolia North America is an Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or
protected veteran status. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Keywords: Veolia North America, Brockton , Chief Wastewater Operator, Other , Brockton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!