RF Hardware engineer
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Engineering Group, Engineering Group > Hardware
Qualcomm is a company of inventors that unlocked 5G ushering in
an age of rapid acceleration in connectivity and new possibilities
that will transform industries, create jobs, and enrich lives. But
this is just the beginning. It takes inventive minds with diverse
skills, backgrounds, and cultures to transform 5Gs potential into
world-changing technologies and products. This is the Invention Age
- and this is where you come in.
Plans, designs, and develops RF electronic systems, circuits,
components. Conducts simulations and analyses of designs. Develops
emulation solutions. Evaluates, characterizes, and develops the
manufacturing solution for leading-edge products in the most
advanced processes. Interfaces with various cross-functional teams
(e.g. Designers, Software/System Engineering, Architecture
Development, Customer Engineering) to drive and incorporate the
latest Radio Frequency Communication technology
- Working independently with little supervision.
- Making decisions that are significant in impact; errors are not
readily apparent due to the complexity of work process/product or
time between decisions and results; errors typically result in
significant expenditure of time, resources, and funds to
- Using verbal and written communication skills to convey complex
and/or detailed information to multiple individuals/audiences with
differing knowledge levels. May require strong negotiation and
influence, communication to large
groups or high-level constituents.
- Having a moderate amount of influence over key organizational
decisions (e.g., is consulted by senior leadership to provide input
on key decisions).
- Completing tasks that require multiple steps that can be
performed in various orders; tasks require simultaneously executing
multiple cognitive abilities and maintaining information in short-
or long-term memory.
- Exercising exceptional creativity to innovate new ideas and
develop innovative products/processes without established
objectives or known parameters.
- Using deductive and inductive problem solving; multiple
approaches may be taken/necessary to solve the problem; often
information is missing or conflicting; advanced data analysis and
interpretation skills are required.
- Occasionally participates in strategic planning within own area
affecting immediate operations. The responsibilities of this role
do not include:
- Financial accountability (e.g., does not involve budgeting
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops complex features and components of hardware designs in
line with proposals or roadmaps for complex products; advises and
supervises small groups of less experienced engineers working
together on common testing and design tasks.
- Participates in or leads the implementation of advanced design
rules and processes for electronic hardware, equipment, and/or
integrated circuitry independently; has an advanced understanding
of other domains.
- Reads device specification sheets and interprets complex
details required to design various hardware features.
- Identifies advanced and cost-efficient ways to optimize testing
procedures and/or hardware designs by evaluating device performance
over a wide range of operating conditions and configurations.
- Advises and leads small groups of less experienced engineers in
evaluating various design features to identify potential flaws
(electrical, mechanical, hardware), compatibility issues, and/or
compliance issues; reviews design evaluations conducted by less
- Documents how various materials, components, chipsets, and
functions interact; identifies potential compatibility, safety, or
compliance issues; leads documentation team efforts.
- Troubleshoots multiple advanced issues with product designs;
uses a variety of debugging tools and methods.
- Provides advanced technical input, support, and documentation
for internal customers in order to help address various questions
related to materials, production, assembly, and/or testing of
- Acts as a tech lead on large projects, provides technical
leadership to individuals from outside functions, and owns the
outcome of the project.
- Manages project-related activities (e.g., meetings,
documentation, deliverables); collaborates with team across
departments and technologies; provides feedback to other teams
regarding product; brings the project to conclusion.
- Collaborates with individuals from other departments to review
- Displays deep knowledge in multiple areas; acquires advanced
knowledge of industry trends, competitor products, and advances in
various engineering fields from publically available information;
shares knowledge of multiple areas within team and across teams
working on similar products.
- Conducts highly complex analyses (e.g., feasibility studies,
signal integrity, power integrity, teardown analyses); shares the
results of these analyses with internal stakeholders. Additional
responsibilities may also include: Develops design implementation,
analysis, methodology, flows, and automation for development and
validation of System on Chip, electronic parts, components,
integrated circuitry, and packaging. Provides design solutions to
evaluate, characterize and develop the design implementation
solution for leading-edge products in the most advanced processes.
Interfaces with various cross functional teams (RF, Analog and
Digital IC designers, Software, System Engineering, Test Engineers,
Customer Engineering, and Operations) to drive and incorporate the
latest design solutions in the production program to improve yield,
productivity, and quality.
IT Core Competencies N/A
Required Competencies (All competencies below are required upon
- Analytical Skills - The ability to collect information and
identify fundamental patterns/trends in data. This includes the
ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from
- Building Trusting Relationships - The ability to build
trusting, collaborative relationships and rapport with different
types of people and businesses. This includes delivering on
commitments and maintaining confidential information, as well as
being approachable, showing interest in the other person, and
relating well to people regardless of personality or
- Communication - The ability to convey information clearly and
accurately, as well as choosing the most effective method of
delivery (e.g., email, phone, face-to-face). This includes using a
technically sound communication style both verbally and in
- Creating the New and Different - The ability to be creative.
This includes the ability to produce breakthrough ideas, being a
visionary, managing innovation, seeing multiple futures, having
broad interests and knowledge, and gaining support in order to
translate new ideas into solutions. This also includes the ability
to plan and implement unconventional ideas and speculate about
alternative futures without all of the data.
- Decision Making - The ability to make quick, accurate
decisions. This includes the ability to weigh alternatives and take
into account the impact of the decisions on people, equipment, or
- Documentation -The ability to appropriately document software
and/or hardware specifications and processes to promote knowledge
transfer to other engineers.
- Getting Work Done - The ability to be organized, resourceful,
and planful. This includes the ability to leverage multiple
resources to get things done and lay out tasks in sufficient
detail. This also includes the ability to get things done with
fewer resources and in less time, work on multiple tasks at once
without losing track, and foresee and plan around obstacles.
- Hardware Design - Knowledge of and the ability to understand
advanced or complex hardware design elements in order to carry out
designs, upgrades, and technology roadmaps.
- Hardware Infrastructure - The ability to implement and
integrate IT hardware for use in business environments and assist
in designing its main features according to business needs. This
includes the ability to track and report operational problems. This
also includes the ability to compare IT hardware across one's own
organization and its competitors.
- Mentoring and Coaching - The ability to develop, coach, and
mentor associates. This includes the ability to provide development
experiences and network opportunities, advise, and teach to prepare
associates for effective job performance.
- Project Management - The ability to use organizational skills
for purposes of planning and decision-making. This includes
developing and communicating objectives, timelines, assignments,
and goals. This also includes the ability to scope projects,
orchestrate multiple activities at once, and use resources
efficiently across functional areas within the enterprise.
Experience in RF/analog circuit design and board-level
Theoretical and implementation level understanding of the RF
circuit building blocks, such as Transceiver ICs, Low-Noise and
Power Amplifiers, switches, filters, circulators
Theoretical and functional level understanding of transceiver
building blocks, such as I/Q modulators, mixers, variable-gain
amplifiers, frequency synthesizers, VCOs
Extensive experience in board level circuit designs that use PCB
/substrate technologies, various passive components (resistors,
capacitors, inductors) and transmission lines to implement
impedance transformations and wide-band matches
Experience in working with CAD layout engineers and design
transfer to manufacturing
Good understanding of EMI mitigation techniques in board-level
and module-level designs
Working knowledge of antennas and radiation measurement
techniques in both sub-6GHz and mmW ranges
Working level knowledge and experience in implementation of
digital predistortion with various types of RF power devices and
Excellent skills in use of RF test equipment (Network, signal,
spectrum analyzers) for design and verification
Generate test reports on circuit level (Power, mismatch, Noise
Figure, S-param) and system level (EVM, ACLR, spurios, blocker
Familiarity with 3GPP 4G/5G performance and test standards for
infrastructure : TS38.104/141
Working knowledge of RF EDA tools such as HFSS, ADS
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer
Science, or related field.
- 7+ years Hardware Engineering experience or related work
- Master's Degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer
Science or related field.
- 12+ years Hardware Engineering experience or related work
- 3+ years experience with circuit design (e.g., digital, analog,
- 3+ years experience utilizing schematic capture and circuit
- 3+ years experience with hardware design and measurement
instruments such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, RF tools,
- 1+ years in a technical leadership role with or without direct
- Frequently transports between offices, buildings, and campuses
up to mile.
- Frequently transports and installs equipment up to 5 lbs.
- Performs required tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or
- Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more
than 6 hours a day.
- Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of
information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person
Applicants: If you are an individual with a disability and need
an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call
Qualcomm's toll-free number found here for assistance. Qualcomm
will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support
individuals with disabilities to be able participate in the hiring
process. Qualcomm is also committed to making our workplace
accessible for individuals with disabilities. Qualcomm is an equal
opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is
only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and
recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency
are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles,
applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be
considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited
resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward
resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company
location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or
any other protected classification.
If you would like more information about this role, please
contact Qualcomm Careers.
Keywords: Qualcomm, Brockton , RF Hardware engineer, Other , Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!