Internship - 2020 CAFL Brockton Trial Office
Company: Committee for Public Counsel Services
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Committee for Public Counsel Services (CPCS) is a government
agency providing representation to indigent clients in criminal
cases, civil cases and administrative proceedings in which there is
a right to counsel. The Children and Family Law (CAFL) Division
Brockton Office has on going openings for summer, fall and winter
term student interns to assist staff attorneys who practice in
Plymouth and Norfolk County Juvenile and Probate Courts. CAFL
provides zealous and creative advocacy for children and parents in
child welfare proceedings, including termination of parental rights
cases and Child Requiring Assistance proceedings.
Interns who are certified student attorneys under S.J.C. Rule 3.03
will have an opportunity to carry a small caseload of Child
Requiring Assistance cases under supervision of a staff attorney.
Please note that this internship is unpaid.
* Student at an accredited law school
* Rising 2L or 3L
* Excellent organizational skills and ability to work
* Strong oral and written skills
* Ability to work full-time (35 hours per week)
* Access to vehicle preferred (for client visits and other
* Foreign language proficiency preferred
Interested candidates should supply:
Resume and a cover letter detailing specific interest in CAFL's
work and how the law student meets the qualifications listed above.
Student should also explain skills and experiences that are
relevant to CAFL's goals and advocacy.
Writing sample (not exceeding 10 pages)
* Significant client contact through client interviews and
* Case investigation to assist with trial preparation
* Service advocacy on behalf of clients
* Negotiation with opposing counsel
* Legal research and writing in preparation for motion argument,
custody hearings and termination of parental rights trials, or on
novel legal issues before the Court
* Reviewing pre-trial discovery and Department of Children and
Families (DCF) case files
* Attendance of and participation in education-related matters on
behalf of clients, such as suspension hearings and IEP meetings
* Appearances in Juvenile Court on behalf of Child Requiring
Assistance clients, if certified (see above)
Keywords: Committee for Public Counsel Services, Brockton , Internship - 2020 CAFL Brockton Trial Office, Other , Brockton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!