Engineering Technician 5
Company: Renesas Electronics America, Inc.
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Engineering Technician 5
Company: Renesas Electronics America Inc.
Business Unit: IoT and Infrastructure Business Unit
Job Function: Hardware (Digital)
Job Type: Permanent
Renesas is a global semiconductor company providing hardware and
software solutions for a range of cutting-edge technologies
including self-driving cars, robots, automated factory equipment,
and smart home applications. We are a key supplier to the world's
leading manufacturers of the electronics you rely on every day; you
may not see our products, but they are all around you.
Renesas is a global, multi-billion dollar, publicly-traded
company headquartered in Japan, and has subsidiaries in 20
countries worldwide. Renesas is a dynamic, multi-cultural
technology company where employees learn, mentor, innovate and
thrive. Renesas is extending our share in fast-growing data
economy-related markets such as infrastructure and data center, and
strengthening our presence in the industrial/IOT and automotive
segments. Our solutions drive products developed by major
innovators around the world. Join us and build your future by being
part of what's next in electronics.
This is an opportunity to contribute directly to the technical
and commercial success of the corporation. To succeed, you will
need to combine administrative and organizational skills with
knowledge of electronic components and assemblies, part
specifications, engineering drawings such as schematics and PCB
layouts, measurement and debug of electronic circuits, test
equipment, electronic assembly processes and equipment.
Your ability to work across functional groups through formal
communication and direct interaction is critical to success. You
will be a shared resource among several related groups in a
centralized laboratory environment. You will receive requests
verbally, by written notes, and by email, and will need to deliver
your work product quickly and with high accuracy as requested.
You may be required to use logical thought processes and
deductive reasoning to develop test and debug procedures and solve
problems in the operation of programmable electronic devices.
The position requires significant dexterity and physical skill
working under a microscope in the assembly and rework of electronic
circuit boards. You will need to have experience with and
demonstrate skills in soldering and unsoldering fine pitch QFN and
other surface mount and through-hole components from high-density
multilayer circuit boards.
Additional desired skills include:
Familiarity with Excel spreadsheets, knowledge of schematic
capture and PCB layout software (especially Cadence OrCAD and
Allegro), familiarity with major industry distributors such as
Mouser, DigiKey, Newark, and Grainger and their website
capabilities. Ability to debug failed circuit boards to the
component level using simple multimeter checks and simple
voltage/current measurements is desirable. Any knowledge of and
familiarity with the operation of a multi-zone reflow oven is a
What we need:
The Infrastructure Power team is seeking a Senior Electronics
Technician to work on cutting edge digital power management
solutions. A successful candidate will have strong desire and
ability to work in a technically challenging environment with other
top performers to continue Renesas' development of industry leading
power management IC's. This position is based in our Bridgewater,
New Jersey facility.
What You'll do:
- Gather test data on electronic components and assemblies under
the guidance and direction of application engineers.
- Debug electronic circuit boards to the component level using
manual and automated test equipment using deductive reasoning and
logical conclusions under the guidance and direction of application
- Construct and rework internal and customer board assemblies for
testing and measurement.
- Maintain lab stock of standard components. Order from standard
distributors when needed.
- Maintain an orderly and functional lab space. Repair or send
for repair equipment when needed. Label equipment, stock, and
workspaces according to company and regulatory practices. Maintain
ESD protections and other protective equipment and supplies.
- Conceive and construct various test leads, cables, and
harnesses for interconnecting equipment and test boards.
- Test some parts and boards with provided test procedures, using
manual and automated lab test equipment.
- Maintain calibration of lab equipment and document the status
in spreadsheets and purchase orders.
- Program integrated circuits using sockets, software, and
provided programming procedures.
Skills You'll Need:
- Associate's Degree or technical equivalent required and a
minimum of 5 years' experience in the power electronics
- Experience with electronic components found in multiphase DC/DC
converters powering large scale ASIC's.
- Knowledge of electronic component values, ratings, and
- Basic knowledge of electronic circuits, such as Ohm's Law and
- Ability to acquire, read, and analyze signals on common lab
equipment for documenting the operation of circuit assemblies and
comparing against expected results.
Working knowledge of Windows and Office software and networking
with other lab equipment.
- Ability to measure and interrogate programmable ICs using
common lab equipment and software.
- Skills and ability to read and interpret schematics with
markups and construct electronic circuits from copper clad PCB
material, vectorboard, etc. and SMT and through-hole
- Skills and ability to remove and replace components
(through-hole and SMT, including fine-pitch QFNs) on high-density
multilayer PCBs using infrared preheaters, hot air nozzles, and
soldering irons under a microscope.
- Ability to create test leads, cables, harnesses, and power
cords from raw wire & cable stock, connector parts, and
- Ability to create and shape various pieces from metals such as
copper, aluminum, and steel, using standard manual and motorized
- Proficiency with a full complement of lab equipment including
network analyzers, oscilloscopes and waveform generators.
Experience with automation of lab testing.
- Knowledge of lab equipment calibration procedures and
- Proficiency in data entry using Excel.
- Must possess very good communications skills, both oral and
- Ability to understand the operation of switched-mode power
converters and interpret desired and undesired operation of these
- Ability to read and apply the information in datasheets for
digital PWM controllers, FET drivers, power MOSFETs and similar
devices and interpret the operation of the circuit
- Schematic Capture and Editing experience, ideally with Cadence
- Bill of Material creation, ideally with Cadence OrCAD.
- PCB layout editing, ideally with Cadence Allegro.
- Ability and knowledge of using a multi-zone reflow oven and
adjusting temperature profiles for soldering different
Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability/Veteran
Keywords: Renesas Electronics America, Inc., Brockton , Engineering Technician 5, Other , Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!