Equipment Operator - Water/Sewer
Company: Town of Duxbury
Posted on: May 28, 2023
JOB TITLE: Equipment Operator - Water/Sewer
LOCATION: Water/Sewer, Department of Public Works
POSITION: Grade 4, full-time, benefit eligible
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week Mon-Fri, mandatory participation in town-wide emergencies and snow and ice removal operations.
REPORTS TO: Chief Water Distribution Operator and Chief Water Treatment Operator
NUMBER OF OPENINGS: 1
PAY RANGE: $24.49 - $31.76, In 8 steps
1. Nature of Work: Assists supervisor in any and all phases ofthe work, performs skilled wok as determined and assigned by supervisor for theTown's public water supply and treatment systems. Makes frequent contact with co-workers andresidents requiring calm, clear and courteous communication.
2. Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of theWater/Sewer supervisors. Operatesequipment based on supervisor's general instructions who reviews performancefor skill and efficiency and assist in cases of difficulty.
3. Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises temporary or seasonal employees asassigned.
4. Confidentiality: Employee has regular access to confidentialinformation of the department. Confidentiality must be maintained with regard to this information andin accordance with Department Policy and the Public Records Act.
5. Accountability: Consequences or errors, missed deadlines orpoor judgment may include adverse public relations, monetary loss, legalrepercussions, labor/material costs, personal injury, jeopardize programs, anddanger to public health/safety.
6. Judgment: Guidelines may be given verbally, or throughadministrative or organizational policies or directives. Employee is expected to weigh efficiency andrelative priorities in performing tasks to avoid breakdowns, handle emergencysituations and ensure public and environmental safety in the operation of thepublic water supply and related systems.
7. Complexity: The work consists of the practicalapplication of a variety of concepts, practices and specialized techniquesrelating to water/sewer treatment, systems and maintenance.
8. Nature and Purpose of Public Contact: Employee interacts frequently with Townemployees and the public. Excellentcustomer service skills are required involving courtesy, tact, and diplomacy.
9. Essential Functions: The essential functions or duties listedbelow are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that maybe performed. The omission of specificstatement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work issimilar, related, or logical assignment to the position:
1.) Assists as an operator of thedepartment's equipment, including all pumps, compressors and similar portableequipment.
2.) Installs, repairs and reads watermeters and keeps associated records through the use of remote reading devices.
3.) Marks outunderground water/sewer piping for Dig Safe requests.
4.) Performs general repairs of watermains and service lines.
5.) Provides labor for flushing,greasing, pumping and painting fire hydrants
6.) Assists in gate valve exercising andfull system flushing program.
7.) Provides labor for performing roadmaintenance when connected with water operations.
8.) Provides labor for the inspection ofthe installation of water mains.
9.) Assists in maintaining treatmentfacilities and grounds,
10.) Assist in taking physical inventoryof stock materials.
11.) Interprets and obtains informationand sketches from various records for locating underground utilities.
12.) Assist in leak survey program.
13.) Assist in valve inspection program.
14.) Trains new employees and crosstrains with co-workers in performing assigned duties.
15.) Operates, maintains and inspectsstand by engines and generators to provide uninterrupted water and sewerservice in the event of power failures.
16.) Accepts deliveries of supplies andequipment.
17.) Assists with grounds maintenancework at all facilities including mowing, string trimming, chain sawing, leafand brush removal.
18.) Performs similar tasks as assigned, includingfunctions of those in a lower classification.
19.) Is available for overtime and call backs in the eventof emergencies.
20.) Participates in town-wide snow and ice removaloperations.
21.) Assists in theoperation and maintenance of the waste water treatment plant, associated liftstations, grinder pumps and collection systems for the Town's shared septic andsewer systems.
10. Recommended Minimum Qualification
Education and Experience: Must have a high school diploma orequivalent, two years of full time water distribution or comparable workexperience and prior and demonstrable ability to deal effectively with fellowemployees, supervisors and the general public or any equivalent combination ofeducation, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge,skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Special Requirements: Must possess valid Massachusetts DriversLicense, Grade 1 Distribution Full Operator certification, Hydraulics and CDLClass B licenses.
11. Knowledge, Abilities and Skill:
1. Knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations pertainingto water/sewer distribution and treatment operations.
2. Considerable and demonstrable skill, in the use oftools and the operation of equipment required in the performance of water/sewerdistribution and treatment work.
3. Ability to deal appropriately and harmoniously withpublic officials, the general public, supervisors and co-workers.
12. Work Environment: The nature of duties may involve continuouspresence of unpleasant or irritating elements, such as noise, odors, chemicalfumes, dust, smoke, heat, cold, oil, dirt, or grease. Work is performed indoors and outdoorsregardless of weather conditions.
13. Occupational Risks: Duties regularly present potential risks ofinjuries from improper exposure that could result in loss of time fromwork. Examples of injuries include, butare not limited to, burns from chemical, muscular strains, falls from heights,and illness from exposure to communicable diseases. Special safety precautions, training, orprotective clothing such as coats, gloves, glasses, hats or boots will berequired.
14. Physical and Mental Requirements: The physical demands described here arerepresentative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully performthe essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals withdisabilities to perform the position's essential functions.
Physical Demands: Work requires regular physical strength andeffort daily, such as, lifting heavy objects up to 50 lbs (or more in cases ofemergency and/or with assistance), carrying objects and stacking them. In addition, pulling, pushing, standing, orwalking for the full workday may be involved.
15. Motor Skills: Duties involve close hand and eyecoordination and physical dexterity. Manipulation and motor control may require extreme accuracy.
16. Visual Demands: Visual demands include reading documents forgeneral understanding, routinely reviewing non-written materials and the needfor color vision.
Posting open to Internal and External applicants beginning Nov. 10, 2022, open until filled.
Town of Duxbury is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled
JOB TITLE: Equipment Operator - Water/Sewer
Keywords: Town of Duxbury, Brockton , Equipment Operator - Water/Sewer, Other , Duxbury, Massachusetts
here to apply!